Monday, April 13, 2009

Work Day #1: Pretty Yellow House

First day of work today. Let me say this: I am polka dotted. The bugs really dig me.

This is the view from our house this morning. It poured rain last night. The wind howled. There was thunder AND lightning AND heat lightning (is that anything like a hot flash?) Anyways the feel of the air outside this morning was amazing. Like it was ALIVE.
I worked at the "Pretty Yellow House" today. I'm a paint scraping machine... hold me back, I think I've found something I'm good at. I can maneuver that putty knife like it's no body's business. Ah HA! Here's a pic of that house this morning. In another post I'll post pictures of the house in its many stages since Katrina (because I will be stealing them from B and then posting them here like they're mine. ) =) Today I've also admitted/revealed that I think entirely too highly of myself when I manage to get a really BIG strip of paint off the house... like I've mastered it or something, pulled a fast one, no no, more like: DEFEATED the ENEMY!!!!!
Last trip I participated in a fantastic burn pile that really smelled a lot like smoke that assaulted my clothes and hair, but made me feel very useful. I have officially now handed over that honor to THIS soon-to-be burn pile. LOOK at it! It's Beau.Ti. Ful!!!!

Here's a picture of Lee supervising Debbie with the power washer. She was wild with that thing!
Watch out seriously if you fear for your life, or if you'd like a few layers of paint removed. She means business.

There's still sooo much work to do here. Here's picture of one of the many vacant lots:

Sure I like the idea of traveling, it's a very romantic notion, blah blah blah. But really when it comes down to it, I just want to be home in my own bed in the comfort of my house on my own pillow... When I come HERE it feels like home though. I don't know if it's that the engines of most trucks driving past either sounds just like dad's old 59 Ford, or like hubby's I'm so macho diesel, maybe the constant hum of a lawn mower or power washer or saw, some one's always working on a project, maybe it's the small town feel. Maybe it just feels right because this is right where I'm supposed to be right now.

No comments: