Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sand Dollars

The biggest of the bebes is doing a report on sand dollars this evening. Oh what a welcome, beautiful distraction this is. Did you know that sand dollar larvae can clone themselves to avoid predators? I could really use that once in a while. Maybe if I will it to happen it'll work? Who knows... I'll give it a shot. The middle bebe is learning to count by 2s but keeps skipping to 10s. She sings proudly the 2 by 2s and then somehow gets caught up in it all and gets going by 10s and stops mid-song and looks disappointed they snuck in there again. The littlest of the bebes is sick. She's got a fever and just wants to snuggle and babble and try to take my nose off my face. And the hubby... get this! He has decided that I MUST listen to Vanilla Ice (up loud on the speakers) sing Ice Ice Baby, and surprisingly he knows all the words, and has the best facial expressions to boot. This is awesome.

I've heard from some of my favorite people this week. Some have good news, and others not so much. But these are the people that I love-love. I love them through their triumphs and excitement and their disappointments too. They do the same in return for me. Not out of obligation, but because that's how it should be. One is pregnant-just found out, one just returned from New Zealand, one's wife is ready to deliver soon but is coming to visit in 2 weeks anyhow, one just moved to Georgia with the service, one revealed to me a terrifying medical condition his wife is enduring, one lost a father, one is about to get married, one is the closest thing I have to a sister, another one is planning a wedding next summer.

These people have blessed my life so richly. I am lucky and thankful and reminded of life's goodness and grace. One has shown up every time I needed her even if I didn't say it she knew and she was there, one whisked me away the summer of 97 to clear my head, one came to be with me after mom died and helped me pour out all of mom's dialysis solution and then let me water mom's plants with the very last bag, one knows my soul inside and out even though she's across the United States, one has seen me in my darkest days, one helped me take care of momma.

I am counting my blessings tonight. The song I'm listening to right now, yes I've moved past Vanilla Ice thank you, is speaking to my soul tonight and setting it on fire:

Even when the rain falls
Even the flood starts rising
Even when the storm comes
I am washed by the water
Even if the Earth crumbles under my feet
Even if the ones I love turn around and crucify me
I won’t never ever let you down
I won’t fall
I won’t fall
I won’t fall as long as you’re around me

I need to be on fire. Be on fire for Jesus and the promise of a better life. Be on fire for those around me. There is so much to be joyful for. I want to live in a constant state of rejoicing and loving and being on fire. I don't know that it's possible, but I'll make it my goal so I don't become stagnant in this more-often-than-not unfair, unjust world. I get caught up easily in the hurtful things. I know that I learn A LOT when I am hurting, but that doesn't mean I like it. I don't want to feel like I need to be a sand dollar that can clone itself, although it's tempting. I want to live bravely and mightily through the strength of the Lord. I'll see what I can do to make this happen.

No comments: