I hate to be the one to bring bad news. But it is what it is. And with Dad's blessings I can share. And how I share is to blog. So here goes:
Dad has cancer. He had a Giant Cell Tumor removed from his wrist a year ago... about the size of a golf ball, maybe a little bigger. 3 months ago it grew back with a ferocity unmatched by anything else. His first surgeon took one look and sent him to Stanford. He had the 2nd one removed just a few weeks ago (baseball-grapefruit size). We assumed (based on the first time) that this too would be benign. We were wrong. Results came back (after the beloved snow trip) that it was in fact malignant. And they didn't get it all. =( As soon as he got those results they scheduled him for a CT scan the following day. Those results came back yesterday. Not good. 4 large masses in his lungs. One is hemorrhaging.
I don't know what this means long term. I mean, I could guess, but I prefer not to. With just the labs results, they were looking at more surgery. But with the CT results, they need a different game plan. With all that Dad saw Mom go through, he has vowed against chemo. I don't blame him.
His new doc at Stanford told him about a new alternative treatment being done in Santa Monica. It forgoes chemo and radiation all together. I don't know what it's called, but will find out. We are waiting on a biopsy of dad's lungs, probably tomorrow or early next week. Then soon after we'll be booking in down to Santa Monica (thank God for a new car!) to get him started. Stanford WILL be also starting this alternative treatment in the next 3 months... but Dad does not have time to wait.
So I assume by late next week or early the following week, that I'll be driving Dad down there, and finding him a place to stay down there. Then I'll drive home, and then fly back and forth as necessary, and then when he's ready to return home (4-6 weeks?) I'll drive back down and get him. I don't think he's a candidate to fly. Everyday plans are changing tho, so this is what I know as of now.
Dad and I DO tend to be very private people. Sorry to those of you who NEED to know the details, but this is what we've got right now. I'll update the blog as new info comes along. I did express to Dad that I thought this was far enough along and serious enough that family and friends DO need to know. He agreed. He will most likely not make phone calls, so best to use my email to communicate to him.
I promise to let everyone know when/if we need anything. Right now it's prayers and comfort. Dad needs energy. This has taken a lot out of him. I do trust that God is in control, but really would like to have a little chat with the Man upstairs and let him know I think I still need my daddy.
thanks and love.