Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving: The Next Chapter

Here's a re-cap of a previous blog in another forum from December 24th 2007, in green. Today's a new chapter to this story at the bottom in blue.

Monday, December 24, 2007
Christmas--it’s the thought that counts--really! This time of year is difficult. There's Christmas and my birthday within a week. I'm trying to adjust. Life without my mom isn't any fun anyhow, not to mention around the holidays. I try not to dread it too much. I try to make it exciting for my kids, just like my parents did.
So the other day I'm over at my dad's trying to find this piano keyboard that I know is somewhere in their storage. I searched high and low: in the house, in the garage, in the storage area, and then finally in the "barn" (a barn looking shed.) I came across all sorts of things that I had forgotten about. Like notes from high school Creative Writing class, and Big Chem notes too. I found an old dollhouse, my Lincoln logs, and other great treasures. Then on the very top shelf wrapped in a black plastic bag was my keyboard! Yeah for me! Now all I had to do was maneuver past all this crap blocking my way to it......
That's when I saw it.
I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I took a double take. I shut my eyes tight and then opened them again. Nope it was still there. Was this a joke? No, nobody would pull a joke like this.
Sitting perfectly wrapped in Christmas paper with handwriting I had longed to see for so long now.... Christmas presents from my sweet mama, wrapped up and tucked away for a special day. And apparently today was that day. Imagine that. Amazing..... When had she done this? Must have been sometime before she took a turn for the worse in September 2006. But here I was finding them, less than a week before Christmas 2007. What a gift.
Sometimes I feel so lost in the big world, and yet something this small, with such magnitude was meant for me. I am in awe.
I haven't opened my present yet. It's not even under my tree. It's up high and out of the way so it doesn't get damaged. I kind of like having one last present from my mommy, and I haven't a clue what it is. Honestly --to me it doesn't matter what is in that present. It's the concept that my mom thought far enough ahead to do this. It's the thought that counts-- and it's the most perfect gift ever.

Thursday, November 27th 2008
I slept like a baby last night. I was wiped out. Then up early to try and pull it all together today for Thanksgiving, gracefully, with a smile, thankfully, with peace. I needed another baking dish and couldn't find it. So out to the garage I go to look for the box with the last of the stuff for the kitchen. I find the box, and in the box is the baking dish, and in the baking dish, the un-opened Christmas present from Mama, stashed away where it was safe for the move. Even though it's been kept away from little hands, the wrapping paper has started to wear a little bit. I could barely peek inside and see what looked like potpourri or dried flowers or something, maybe just rosemary. I needed that baking dish, but didn't have another safe place to put the present. No one was around...and so I opened it. My very last gift from Mama. Oh and it was so much more beautiful than I ever could have imaged. Yes it was potpourri-like, and dried flowers, including rosemary, but pulled together so perfectly with delicate purple paper and twine, 4 little wrappings total. Mmmmm...this is so something my Mama had created. I have 4 huge windows in the dining room, and set each one in its own window. Perfect. I cannot ask for anything more. Mama's love, both visible and not, surrounded us this evening as we sat and ate and were thankful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Meggie...I get such inspiration and strength from your blogs. I lost my dad three years ago and it is still hard to deal with. I found your blog link on facebook. At first I felt a bit like I was intruding into your thoughts, but I continue to find strength and happiness in reading what you write. I just want to say thank you and bless you for you have been a blessing to me.

Rosalyn said...

just catching up on the blog, my computer was sick and then we went on vacation. you make me cry. You are so precious Meggie. I LOVE the way you write. I LOVE your heart. You are truly the best of both your parents and I am so grateful to be able to know you more. I love you cousin.