Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Nesting

Finished my book last night: Secret Life of Bees. I am in love with that book. I am in love with reading and being transported to a world that transcends my common every day life. Anything to take me away.

And so I am nesting in my new house. My new-to-me house that I'm trying to "nest" into my home. Now that most things are unpacked, though not neat by any means, I can get to the stuff that really matters. When the baby is asleep, and the big girls tucked in, Hubby watching TV or already nodding off, I can start to unpack my favorites...safely, methodically, thoughtfully in the peace of the night.
I have a small little nightstand next to my side of the bed. It is my shrine of sorts. A couple pictures, a handful of delicate cards from precious friends, an angel of peace, a bouquet of dried flowers from mama, three candles, a bible...

Somehow my book collection has multiplied. The books I HAVE TO HAVE close by and now I have too many. So I couldn't just shove them in there. These are the books that speak to me. So I stayed up late sorting through them, feeling guilty about which ones I could keep there and which ones would have to be put on the bookshelf. Like they had feelings or something. And why do I think I'm going crazy? Maybe cause I think my books have feelings. But these are the ones whose feelings I ended up caring most about:

White Oleander - Janet Fitch
Taking Care of Your Child
Intercessory Prayer - Dutch Sheets
My mom's 2006 appointment book
The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
Jarhead - Anthony Swafford
Peace Life a River - Leif Engler
A Book of Love Poetry - edited by Jon Stallworthy
Sunrise - Karen Kingsbury
Mind as Healer Mind as Slayer - Kenneth R. Polletier
Mystic River - Dennis Lehane
When I Was a Girl - edited by Allison Pollet
Remembering Blue - Connie May Fowler
Becoming a Woman of Excellence - Cynthia Heald
Chesty - Colonel Jon T Hoffman USMC
Small Miracles for Women - Yitta Halberstam abd Judith Loventhal
Tara Road - Maeve Binchy
Strength For Service to God and Country
The Horse Whisperer - Nicholas Evans
I am Not but I know I AM - Louie Giglio
If You Want to Walk on Water You Have to Get Out of The Boat - John Ortberg
Christian Truth and His Defense - For US Marines
and 3 Bibles


Books are a safe place for me and always have been. I've always loved to be lost in writing and reading, scripture and poetry, music and lyrics. Can't wait to have the piano in the house soon too. It will add another much needed dimension to help transform my heart and house into a home. And so I nest.

No comments: