Saturday, November 7, 2009

Date Night !!!!!!!

A few months ago I posted a a blog about this:



Dad saw this particular David Foster special on PBS and was SOOO excited about it, he became a supporter of PBS so he could get a copy f the DVD. And he got an extra one for me. AND he got the CD to go along with it. David Foster is the writer/producer of MANY hits including 15 grammy wins.


Then a month or two ago just in passing I heard that David foster would be coming to the HP Pavilion and I thought wouldn't it be awesome to be able to get tickets and TAKE DAD TO IT!?!?!?! I was online and got tickets within 10 minutes of them going on sale. OMG. HP Pavilion is HUGE. Gigantic. BUUUUUTTT...we got seats on the floor in row 15. So that is exactly what we did last night.



Perhaps you thought the date night was with hubby? Nope. With my daddy. =)



We went to La Fondue in Saratoga and woooo weee was it fancy! Valet parking and everything!(here I am particularly pleased to say that I no longer drive my first car... an 82 Plymouth Reliant.... no use getting Valet parking for those....)4 courses and each was oooohhh so yummy including dessert. Holy smokes. I felt very classy. Very special. And it was special to be there with just my dad.



So the deal with the David Foster concerts is that he plays the piano center stage and sings along, but he brings out artists that he's worked with in the past, and they sing old and new songs that he has written (but maybe not ones that that artist had sang originally.)



First was one of the guys from Earth Wind and Fire:
Then Peter Cetera, originally part of Chicago:


Then Debra Cox too... whose voice is literally like butter. BUTTER I tell you. Smoooooooooth like butter. She sang some songs originally sung by Chaka Kahn (written and produced by David Foster.)
Then she and Reuben Studdard (formerly of American Idol) sang the Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole 'Unforgettable' song. Oh.my.goodness. I didn't want it to ever end.

Then Reuben sang an R+B version of 'Home' and then David Foster said he had a theory that he could give Reuben ANY one-liner, and that Reuben could sing that line and make it beautiful. He picked someone out of the crowd and asked for one line. Then man said I LOVE ERICA. (His wife.) David Foster played a few chords on the piano and Reuben took off and seriously sang the most romantic one line I think I've ever heard.

David Foster is also famous for finding young talent and kind of introducing them to the big world. He brought out these young men (hold ALL of your negative boy band notions...) These are the Canadian Tenors. They do not have an album out yet, but will be out in February. Here think of the most beautiful voices in beautiful harmony with opera-like undertones. Really. Check it out. (Also just so all's fair in love and war... if something ever happens to me and Hubby, I totally call dibs on the guy second from the left!)

The Canadian Tenors sang Hallelujah. And I cried. Like a little baby.

The night was amazing. 3 entire hours of beautiful music. Question: Why don't they have season tickets (like sports teams) for these events?

But one of the best highlights of the night for me, and one for which I don't have a picture, was when he brought the 3 backup singers (girls) to the front of the stage and they brought DOWN THE HOUSE with 'To Be Real' yes written by David Foster and originally recorded by Cheryl Lynn. It is MY FAVORITE SONG OF ALL TIME.


No comments: